Somali Medical Association
The Somali Medical Association (SMA) was established in 1999 as a membership organization for Somali Medical Doctors and Dentists in practice. It is an independent Non-Governmental and non- profit making organization registered under the laws of Somali. It seeks to uplift the health status of, adolescents, children and the society in general in Somali by enhancing the capacity and potential of medical doctors to respond through determined action involving advocacy, information and service provision, to meet their special needs and whose main agenda is voluntary in nature. Currently we have over 300 members, which includes up country branches in south, central, Eastern and north regions.
To build a sustainable professional association of medical and dental practitioners that will advance the delivery of qualitative healthcare services through continuing professional development, advocacy, and research and public education in collaboration with other stakeholders
Professional body committed to promote an
efficient healthcare delivery, high ethical
standards and protect the interest of its members.
Our Core Values
- Transparency and accountability
- Integrity and fair commitment
- Credibility and Flexibility manner.
Our Main Goals
- To promote the medical and dental profession in Somalia.
- To uphold high standards of medical ethics and conduct
- To advise the Government, other medical bodies and the general public on matters related to health
- To promote the welfare of doctors
- To promote continuing professional development through periodic publications, seminars and scientific conferences.
- Mobilization of Somali doctors to join and actively participate in the association’s activity.
- Enhancing institutional sustainability and to strengthen the financial base of SMA.
- Promotion ethical standards of medical and dental doctors.
- Developing new constitution for Somali medical association
- To enhance the relationship with international medical associations around the world.
- To initiate continuous professional development program